Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Camera problem

  1. #1
    Inactive Member atarijohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just a guess, but a lot of the cameras keep their auto-exposure light meters active as long as the lens cap is off. Is there a chance you left the cap off and the meter was running all night? If so, it's legs must be tired!

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 02, 2004 03:39 PM: Message edited by: atarijohn ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member absenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ahhhh! A brilliant deduction. I don't have a lens cap for this camera, and technically only one of the four batteries is supposed to supply power to the light gauge. But this sounds like something to look into, so I'll buy new batteries today and see how that works out. If that is what it is, then I'll try to fashion a homemade lens cap tonight as well. Thanks

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Andrew Kempees's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2002
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When it comes to batteries I always remove mine from the camera when I am done working. I am sure we all have lost a good piece of equipment like a light meter or a sound mike to a leaky battery. If for some reason I have not used the equipment in some time I just buy new ones to be on the safe side. I also make it a habit to clean the camera out with dust off before & after use. Also store the camera in a clean dry cool place. How many of use have seen super 8 equipment that has been in an attic for 20 years or so, "Sure it ran fine when I put it away". How many of use have heard that one ? (It's only baked or froze for twenty years.)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member absenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,
    I was recently given a Kodak M16 Super 8 camera, which is in fantastic condition. I put in a new set of 4 AA batteries last night and tested it and worked fine. I used the trigger on the pistol grip, as well as the shutter release button on the front of the camera. The camera sounded great and didn't make any strange noises. I didn't have any film in the camera, though 4 cartridges are on their way and should be here any day. Altogether, I ran it for about a solid minute.
    This morning I went to try it out again and it doesn't work at all. Nothing. The engine doesn't turn whatsoever. I took the batteries out and examined the contacts for corrosion and there isn't a spot anywhere. I also made sure it wasn't set in the "lock position." I didn't know if it would only record when the adequate light signal was lit, so I went outside on my deck and tried it with the signal on and it still doesn't work. The camera has been kept up so well that it looks brand new, which is why I'm having a hard time believing that it just stopped working over night.
    Does this sound like a loose wire somewhere inside? Has anyone done home-repairs on cameras of this kind, and if so, how complicated is it? I live in Baltimore and I'm not sure who would repair this how much it would cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

  5. #5
    Inactive Member absenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I tried replacing the batteries last night and its still deader than dirt. I tested the batteries I pulled out of it and they worked fine when put into a "push light." After much frustration and incredulity - the film I had ordered arrived last night - I tried finding a way to open the casing to get a look at the engine. I can't even find that! The only exterior screws on the whole M18 are near the aperture where the film is imprinted, and I don't relish the idea of messing around in there. I guess its a testament to Kodak that the shell of the camera is neigh impregnable to a novice.
    Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated...

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by absenter:
    I tried replacing the batteries last night and its still deader than dirt. I tested the batteries I pulled out of it and they worked fine when put into a "push light." After much frustration and incredulity - the film I had ordered arrived last night - I tried finding a way to open the casing to get a look at the engine. I can't even find that! The only exterior screws on the whole M18 are near the aperture where the film is imprinted, and I don't relish the idea of messing around in there. I guess its a testament to Kodak that the shell of the camera is neigh impregnable to a novice.
    Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Most likely the drive gear has broke. These old Kodak M cameras used a "experimental" plastic that crumbles as it dries out. In fact its been decribed as a "cheese gear" since after many years it turns yellow and crumbles. I have a bunch of Kodak M cameras and they all were either already dead or died shortly after running them. The Kodak M2 and M4 are the exception since they used more metal and nylon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •